We are very proud to share that Upside Foundation Board Member Gerry Pond has been appointed a member of the Order of Canada, “for his contributions to information technology in Atlantic Canada and for his dedication to mentoring entrepreneurs.”
One of our country’s highest civilian honours, the Order of Canada recognizes outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. With over 45 years of experience, Gerry is known as a leader, innovator, investor and driving force behind the information and communications technology (ICT) sector in Atlantic Canada.
Gerry Pond is the co-founder of Mariner Partners and a number of successful start-ups including iMagicTV, Q1 Labs, Brovada Technologies, Radian6, Shift Energy and Cirrus9. Gerry is also the co-founder of Propel ICT (a startup accelerator), the Pond-Deshpande Centre at the University of New Brunswick (which encourages emerging entrepreneurs and innovators to create sustainable, scalable enterprises), and East Valley Ventures (an advanced accelerator with a mission of helping passionate Atlantic Canadian entrepreneurs launch meaningful and enduring technology companies).
In addition to this latest honour, Gerry has also been awarded:
- Canadian Angel of the Year by Techvibes & KPMG at the Canadian Startup Awards in 2011
- The Canadian Red Cross Humanitarian Award for New Brunswick in 2012
- A Champion of Public Education by The Learning Partnership in 2013
- The Order of New Brunswick (for his innovative spirit and for being the driving force behind so many of New Brunswick’s information technology and telecommunications success stories such as Radian6 and Q1 Labs), in 2013 (both of which were recognized by the Canada Venture Capital & Private Equity Association’s (CVCA) as Deal of the Year in 2011 and 2012 respectively
- The Wolf Blass Lifetime Achievement Award (or supporting innovation and entrepreneurship) at the Canadian Startup Awards in 2014
“Gerry Pond represents all that the Upside Foundation stands for,” says Mark Skapinker, Managing Partner of Brightspark Ventures, and Co-Founder and Board Member of the Upside Foundation, “Success as an entrepreneur intrinsically tied to a commitment to giving back and supporting others. We are proud to have Gerry representing the Upside Foundation in Atlantic Canada”.
2017 marks Canada’s 150th anniversary; a milestone year to be appointed to the Order of Canada. Governor General David Johnston has used the opportunity to encourage Canadians to “use this occasion to build a smarter and more caring country in which every individual can succeed to the greatest extent possible”- a mission we wholeheartedly embrace.
The Upside Foundation is proud to represent the Canadian startup community’s commitment to giving back. We look forward to working with Gerry and others to grow the impact of our thriving startup community for Canada in the year ahead.